Throwing some dimes: Rajon Rondo both tough and great last night

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Once in a while, someone else's article catches my eye. Sometimes, it's because the article is so spot-on I wish I'd written it myself. Other times, it's because the article enlightens me with something I never knew. Still other times, it's because I disagree with whatever's written. No matter what the reason, I dish it off to another writer to make his/her point. You know, throwing some dimes.
 
“The hit was softer than I expected,’’ Rondo said. “I knew I was going to get hit, going back to last year. It wasn’t as hard as it seemed. I think he tried to go for my face but he hit me in my nose.

“But I’ve been hit harder. You just know, you’ve got a feeling. It didn’t hurt, I was just focusing on trying to make a free throw, honestly. I wasn’t mad or anything, that’s part of the game. I’ve been hit way harder. Next time we play them I’m still going to drive whether it’s him whether it’s [Joachim] Noah or anybody. It could be Shaq [O’Neal]. I’m still going to drive that’s what I do.’’
My first thoughts about reading the quote: Did Joakim Noah change the spelling of his name? Does he merely have an alternate spelling?

My second thoughts: Rondo is a tough, tough bastard who wants to let everyone in the world know he's not going to back down from anybody.  I'm glad he's on my team.
  • The Globe's Gary Washburn with a quote from Paul Pierce, discussing Pierce's desire to remain a Celtic throughout his entire career:
“Like I said, I want to retire a Celtic, I kept that no secret and it will all play out, depending how many years I want to play,’’ he said. “I am sure that Danny [Ainge] and Doc [Rivers], as long as these guys are here, ownership, I am sure they want me to stay also.’’

The Celtics would be well served to sign Pierce to an extension for the purpose of setting their salary cap in coming years. Boston can re-sign Ray Allen using its Larry Bird exception rule, which allows teams to re-sign players who have been with the team three years or longer to contracts that don’t count against the salary cap.
Obviously, I would love to resign Pierce and wrap him up for the end of his career.  Even if he's old and hobbled, I don't want Pierce going anywhere else to retire.  He bleeds Green and White, and has done more for the franchise in my lifetime than any other man.
The Celtics' second unit often rescued the team early in the year. In fact, Boston's bench outscored opponents in 11 of the team's first 13 games of the 2009-10 campaign. Since then -- with Marquis Daniels battling a thumb injury and now sidelined for at least two months after surgery to repair a torn ligament -- the unit had been outscored in seven of the Celtics' previous nine games.

On Saturday, Boston finished with a 44-27 advantage over the Bulls in bench points.
Forsberg is right; the bench was supposed to be a big strength this season, but it hasn't come to fruition.  Whether it's because of 'Sheed's cold streak, Daniels' injury, or whatever else, the C's bench has often been outplayed by opposing benches with inferior talent. 

Comments

No response to “Throwing some dimes: Rajon Rondo both tough and great last night”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment